Thursday, May 20, 2010

the Worser of 2 Evils....

The Binky or the Fingers.... that is the question???
About 2 weeks ago I made the decision that Bridger was old enough to take away his Binky. He has always liked it, but it seemed that he was starting to like it a little too much.... so I thought that it was a good time for them to part ways.
I just took it away cold turkey and to my delight.... we really didn't have any issues. Sure there were a few times that I wanted to plug his whining with the Binky but I held strong and everything went well.
.... that is until I noticed that he was starting to suck on his two fingers more often. Now it seems like every time I turn around he has them shoved down his throat. So now I am super stressed.
Should I just give him back the binky???
It seems that everyone that I talk to thinks that the binky is the better choice.... but I was so proud of myself for taking it away!!! All that work for nothing?
Last night I went into his room to find him sucking away on his fingers. I decided to give him the binky to see what he would do, and it was like they had never been separated! He popped it right back in and started sucking.
The only down side was that I couldn't sleep all night thinking about our regression!
I need input!
I started a poll at the top of my side bar and am interested to see what the verdict is.
Should it really be this stressful????

8 comments:

Barbie said...

Should not be this stressful. I say stick with the fingers. You can give him back the binky, but chances are when you take it away, he is going to go for the fingers again! Just embrace the fingers. But really I am not the person to give advice on the subject!!!!

Barbie said...

Noah says let him suck on his fingers! We would vote again but it won't let us! One vote per reader I guess! Is that so we won't just keep voting like on American Idol or something????????

TAMI said...

I say FINGERS! :)

Unknown said...

Well, I haven't reached this stage yet, so take my advice or leave it. But I definitely say FINGERS! Mark and I were in church the other day and were wondering what looked weird about the 6 year old kid sitting in front of us and we finally realized it's because he had a freakin' binky in his mouth!!! The weirdest thing I've ever seen and I'm not exaggerating. So, be glad you got rid of it now and he isn't freaking out about it.

Darin and Kali said...

When we took Kylie's binky away it was especially hard for Kali. I ended up taking all the binkies in the house and hid them so Kali wouldn't give Ky a binky. We didn't take it away till she was at least a year and a half and after a couple days of fits we haven't had any problems.

maggie said...

I vote for the binky.

and is "worser" a word? :)

Barbie said...

So what I want to know is how many of these people that are voting to keep the binky have much experience as parents! :) 8 kids worth anyways! Just kidding but seriously think about it....
So you give him his binky back, and it falls out in the middle of the night, so he sucks on his fingers and what do you have???? Both Evils! He is not going to give up the fingers for the binky! Nope! He will actually have both!! Trust me and just let him suck his fingers! Listen to your mom on this one or in a few months you are going to be fighting the very same battle! I changed my mind from my first comment! I am the one to give advice afterall!! :)

Parkinson Family said...

yeah thats hard
i would say the fingers...i don tthink they are as comforting as the binky so maybe he'll stop soon...good luck!