Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

I was working yesterday when my family all went to the cemetery,
so I took the boys by today on the way to my parents house.

Last week was the first time that Dakota had ever asked about all of the head stones in the cemetery so I thought that it was a good time to talk to him a little bit about death, I am not sure that it went quite how I wanted....

On the way up there I told Dakota about Baby Aspen and how she had gotten sick and died, and now she is in heaven.
I told him that someday mommy and daddy would get old and die and then someday he would too, but it was okay because we would be with Heavenly Father and Jesus and we would all be together as a family. Talking about it with him really gave me the chills and I even felt a little bit of emotion
(very rare for me, I know)!!!

Dakota thought about it for a minute and replied, "That is DUMB mom!!!"
(not quite the reaction that I was wanting)

Once we got to the Alpine Cemetery Dakota was excited to see all of the head stones and at every one he would ask me "what is this one about?"
I then made the mistake of explaining to him that when people die they bury their bodies in the ground.

He then asked, "where are their heads???"
This was followed by wanting ghosts to come out of the ground.

I really should have just skipped the whole topic, but it was a nice Memorial Day anyway.




This was the plate that Dakota made for himself at my mom's house.
Uncle Daniel & Dakota

1 comment:

Barbie said...

Love all of the pictures! What a funny story!