Saturday, June 7, 2014

Bear Lake Classic

Last month we went to Bear Lake for the Bear Lake Classic road race. It was our first time leaving Reese overnight. I was a little nervous, but she did great and I am certain didn't even notice I was gone :-)

We stayed at an amazing cabin in Lake Town. The cabin could sleep 30 plus people so the whole team was able to stay there. It seemed like there were bikes and bike gear everywhere you looked. 

Saturday morning was the road race... 50 miles around Bear Lake. Scott raced his first race and did awesome! He finished with the lead group and was only 2 seconds off of the winner. 

My race went well until the last 300 meters. I was with the front group coming into the finish, when one girl sprinted and cut off a girl in front of me, causing her to crash along with me and about 5 others. Luckily for me I crashed ontop of people so I didn't get too much road rash... But I did break my helmet off and get lots of bumps and bruises, along with tearing all of my bike gear. The worst part came later in the shower when I washing my hair and chunk of it came out!!!! I am just grateful that I was okay. One girl had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. 

The next morning Alicia and I found a couple of girls to do the team time trial with. 5 girls start together in a line. We each take turns pulling in the front and then moving to the back to rest. The time stops when the third team member crosses the finish line. I had never done this before and was surprised by how hard it was. I only made it 35 of the 50 miles before I could do no more... Luckily we had 3 tough girls to finish the race for the team!

Not my most fun racing experience... But still a fun weekend!







No comments: